The gift of eyesight is precious beyond value. Many of us take it for granted every day, but how many millions of dollars would we turn down in exchange for our eyes? This truth is one that 18-year-old Marthalyn knows all too well. 15 years ago, Marthalyn unknowingly ingested Sodium Hydroxide, a dangerous chemical compound that is often used to make local washing soap in Liberia. Immediately, Marthalyn began to experience painful chemical burns inside her body and in an effort to wipe away tears, she inadvertently got some of the Hydroxide into her eyes and lost consciousness.
Today, Marthalyn is diagnosed with Multiple Corneal Dystrophies and she will need Corneal Transplants. If this procedure isn’t done soon, Marthalyn could lose her eyesight completely. To make matters more complicated, this procedure cannot be done in her native nation of Liberia.
Please consider supporting our efforts to give more disabled children and families in Liberia and across the globe the opportunity to acquire trade whereby they may become self-sustaining, and receive an academic and vocational education that will give them an equal footing in society.